The shop-bought jars are very popular. We unthinkingly pick a jar up in the supermarket and use the ubiquitous sauce in bolognaise and lasagne. Oh, don’t do that! It is so easy to make your own, your own with no unhealthy stuff in it, and so cheap too!
I have often been asked for my recipe, here it is. You can scale it up to make several portions as they freeze well. My one portion costed THB30, which is about 50p. And see the goodness that goes into it, no additives:
- 200g pumpkin, skin removed and cubed
- 200g sweet potato, skin removed and cubed
- 600g ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 a red chilli (to taste)
- A bunch of basil
- 4 cloves garlic
- A swirl of red wine or Pimms or vodka (optional)
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant
- Add the pumpkin, sweet potato, tomatoes, chilli and basil to the sautéed onion and garlic. Add enough water so that the veggies can simmer without burning, then add the basil and balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer for half and hour, then add the red wine if you are adding.
- Blend until smooth and season to taste.
- If your sauce is too runny, put back in the pot and boil until it thickens
What I did with my pasta sauce:
I lined meat (browned boneless chicken pieces) and grilled aubergines on a Pyrex dish. I poured the sauce over this layer then I topped it with cooked pasta. Grated cheese and smashed crisps on the topmost layer to give it that more-ishness, and I baked this for 45 minutes on a medium oven until crispy on top.
Mmmm, you can’t beat this!! ❤