Oh my! This is the creamy, yummy pasta that is plate-licking good! It can be a bit fiddly to make because of the crabmeat but well worth the efforWhat you need:
- Three crabs
- Penne, cooked according to instructions on the packet – I used half of a packet
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1/2 a Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- The most humane way is to put the crabs to sleep in the freezer. Then boil the crabs from frozen for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, peel the meat and put aside. (Note: I reused the crab shells by boiling it with fish bones to make stock.)
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and put aside.
- Make the cheese sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan (use 1oz).
Stir in the flour (1 oz) and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk (about 1 pint) to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and white pepper.
Stir in 3oz cheese and allow to melt. Don t re-boil the sauce or it will become stringy.
4. Saute the crab meat in butter with onions and leek. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Combine the pasta and the crab meat mixture. Stir in the pasta sauce. transfer into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.