One of the things I love most about our family summer holidays on the Med is the simple, fresh food we eat day in, day out. We are normally moored in Formentera, and there is only one basic supermarket selling limited range of fruits and vegetables, but we never got bored of what we could find here.
This is a simple bread salad, using stale, old bread:
- Slice the bread and drizzle generously with olive oil. Bake in a low oven until crispy.
- Slice a couple of juicy, ripe tomatoes, red onion, red capsicum.
- Put the above in a big salad bowl. Add a generous handful of olives.
- Tear a bunch of basil and add to the dish.
- Add shaved Parmesan cheese or Manchego.
- Crumble the baked bread on top of the salad.
- Add olive oil and good sherry vinegar.
- Use your hands to massage the salad, infusing the bread with the delicious mix of tastes from the tomatoes, basil and oil.
- Season with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.
We serve this with the cheese and ham platter for a simple lunch.