One of the cuisine of Formentera and Ibiza that you cannot find anywhere else is peix sec. It’s fish salted and dried on the branches of juniper trees. Really unusual!
You can read how it is made here.
I bought a jar from the supermarket, and as it is quite expensive, I added salted cod fillets to pad the dish out. This is how I cooked mine:
- Heat a few knobs of butter in a heavy frying pan.
- Add a few cloves of bashed olives until lightly browned. Add the salted cod fillets. Saute until lightly browned.
- Add a big handful of halved cherry tomatoes.
- Add the peix sec.
- Pour a glass of rose wine into the pan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add washed spinach leaves towards the end of cooking time.
- Season with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.
- Served hot with crusty bread.